After the sudden passing of President Nkurunziza of Burundi, General Évariste Ndayishimiye will take the oath to become the new President of Burundi.
As this swift power transition unfolds, it also offers an opportunity to open a new chapter for the people of Burundi and its civil society. Our organizations encourage the newly elected President to place its tenure under the sign of reconciliation and to grant pardon to all human rights defenders who are currently unjustly detained, such as Germain Rukuki, Nestor Nibitanga, Egide Harerimana, Christine Kamikazi, Terence Mpozenzi and Agnès Ndiribusa.
1. Protection International
2. Protection International Africa
3. DefendDefenders (East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project)
4. FIDH, in the framework of the Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders
5. World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT), in the framework of the Observatory for the
Protection of Human Rights Defenders
6. Fédération internationale des ACAT (FIACAT)
7. International Service for Human Rights (ISHR)
8. Tanzania Human Rights Defenders Coalition (THRDC)
PDF version (French and English).