ORGANIZATIONAL MANAGEMENT EXPERT
Organization: East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project
Position title: Organizational Management Expert
Position location: Kampala, Uganda
Duration: 30 man days
Start date: 16 February 2015
Application deadline 6 February 2015
Vacancy contact: Please send applications to [email protected] with a narrative proposal and financial offer
The East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project (EHAHRDP) is the secretariat to a network of more than 75 member organizations drawn from eleven countries in the sub-region (that is, Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia (and Somaliland), South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda). The project was designed to strengthen the work of human rights defenders (HRDs) in the East and Horn of Africa sub-region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. The Project envisions a region in which the human rights of every citizen as stipulated in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) are respected and upheld. EHAHRDP implements activities in the areas of protection, advocacy and capacity building.
Additionally, EHAHRDP acts as the secretariat for the Pan-African Human Rights Defenders Network, which brings together five sub-regional networks from North, Central, West, Southern and the East and Horn of Africa. Further information about EHAHRDP’s activities can be found on the website: https://defenddefenders.org/ or through our social media outlets on Face book http://www.facebook.com/humanrightsdefendersproject or Twitter @EHAHRDP.
SCOPE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The scope and focus of the assignment is to provide technical, strategic and facilitation support to enable EHAHRDP strengthen its organizational policies. The consultant will develop an analysis framework and work plan to guide the assignment.
The assignment will include review of relevant documents, in particular existing policies; management reports of external auditors; existing strategic plan; and related domestic and international laws and regulations. The consultant will also conduct individual interviews with key informants including relevant stakeholders throughout the process. The use of participatory processes is expected. The consultant will actively engage with staff, board members and other stakeholders throughout the assignment. Information collected will be used to inform the following:
1. Review of the existing EHAHRDP’s governance structure and recommendations on strengthening the structures.
2. Review of the existing personnel policy to ensure it’s comparable to national and international standards.
3. Review of the existing financial policy and procedures manual to ensure it’s in line with the personnel policy and comparable to national and international standards.
4. Develop an anti-corruption policy for the organization (excerpts of this are currently in the personnel policy).
5. Develop a procurement policy for the organization (excerpts of this are currently in the financial policy and procedures manual).
The consultant will provide the following deliverables:
1. Review of and recommendations on the existing organizational structure
2. Review of the existing personnel policy
3. Review of the existing financial policy and procedures manual
4. Final draft of the anti-corruption policy
5. Final draft of the procurement policy
6. Final draft of an M & E policy
A specific timeline of deliverables will be mutually agreed upon.
1. Minimum Master’s degree in Law, Business Management, Industrial-organizational Psychology, International Relations, or any relevant degree
2. Minimum 7 years’ experience in organizational management
3. Demonstrated knowledge of developing organizational policies
4. Qualified candidates must possess strong oral communication and active listening skills for interacting effectively with people working in a diverse environment
5. Ability to analyze, develop, research, and advise
6. Excellent writing skills
7. Sample work and references will be required as part of the interview
This consultancy position will be based in Kampala, Uganda and audits will be conducted on a quarterly basis. Applicants should be eligible to work in Uganda without restriction.
Applicants should send the following:
1. CV(s) of the expert(s) and a letter explaining qualification, experience and competence of the consultant(s).
2. Financial offer.
3. Contacts of three references– do not send scanned copies of certificates.
Applications should be submitted to [email protected] by 6 February 2015.
The subject line of the email should read “Application for the Organizational Expert Position”