Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Associate
Reports to: Monitoring and Evaluation Expert
Responsible for: None
Location: Kampala with frequent travels to field locations
DefendDefenders (the East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project) is the secretariat of East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Network, which represents thousands of members consisting of individual human rights defenders, human rights organisations, and national coalitions from eleven countries in the sub-region (Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia (and Somaliland), South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda). DefendDefenders seeks to strengthen the work of human rights defenders by reducing their vulnerability to risks of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. Further information about DefendDefenders’ activities can be found on the website or through our social media outlets on Facebook or Twitter.
Provide technical and professional expertise in the development, review, documentation, and implementation of monitoring, evaluation, and learning systems for DefendDefenders.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Demography, Statistics, Development Studies or Social Sciences;
- A postgraduate Diploma in Monitoring and Evaluation will be an added advantage; and
- Training in gender frameworks is desirable.
- A minimum of three (3) years of similar experience from a reputable organisation;
- At least two years’ experience in developing and leading the implementation of MEL systems for CSOs and human rights; and
- Demonstrated experience in using STATA, SPSS, Epi info, MIS.
- Monitoring and evaluation;
- Learning and knowledge management;
- Data analysis and reporting skills;
- Report writing and presentation skills;
- M&E systems management and utilisation;
- Gender relations frameworks;
- Ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training and mentoring;
- Good knowledge of principles and approaches to monitoring and evaluation for human rights programmes;
- Excellent oral and written skills;
- Programme design, planning and management; and
- Excellent written and spoken command of English. Knowledge of French preferred.
Key Result Areas:
Duties and Responsibilities:
Monitoring and Evaluation
Knowledge management and reporting
How to Apply
Please apply by emailing in a single submission the following documents: a letter of motivation, C.V. and three references to [email protected] no later than Sunday 31 January 2021.
Please do not attach copies of qualifications at this stage. Only complete applications will be reviewed. It is preferred that all materials be submitted via email. We regret that owing to the volume in applications only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Equal employment opportunities and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at DefendDefenders where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established under international human rights principles.