Job Title: Systems Administrator
Reports to: Technology Program Manager
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Start: March 2023
Application deadline: January 27th 2023
DefendDefenders was established in 2005 as the East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project and registered as a foreign Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) in Uganda. DefendDefenders exists to strengthen the work of Human Rights Defenders in the sub-region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. The core mandate of DefendDefenders is to promote the safety, security, and wellbeing of HRDs. To achieve this, DefendDefenders’ work has to date focused on protection and security management, capacity building, technology development, as well as advocacy, research, and communications. DefendDefenders establishes and supports national coalitions of HRDs in various countries through which HRDs can come together and claim their rights at the national level.
DefendDefenders serves as the Secretariat of the East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Network (EHAHRD-Net) representing thousands of HRDs and their organisations. DefendDefenders draws its membership from Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia (together with Somaliland), South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. The Network also serves as the secretariat for AfricanDefenders (Pan-African Human Rights Defenders Network.) Further, DefendDefenders holds a consultative status with the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) as well as observer status with the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights.
DefendDefenders is looking for a full-time systems administrator to maintain its infrastructure. The successful candidate must be able to work independently and effectively and be a team player that can provide guidance.
The full-time Systems Administrator is responsible for amongst other things:
- Maintain existing infrastructure used at DefendDefenders.
- Implement new infrastructure, always with an eye towards ease of maintenance & sustainability.
- Document technical settings and configuration used for the DefendDefenders technical infrastructure.
- Ensure office IT security through fleet management, access controls, backups, firewalls, and log monitoring.
- Train staff on new and core technologies as well as on-boarding and off-boarding staff members.
- Create and enforce compliance to ICT security policies.
- Plan, Manage and monitor ICT budgets.
- Promote the innovative usage of ICT within the organization.
Applicants must be willing to relocate to Kampala, Uganda and must possess:
- BSc/BA in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related discipline; professional security certifications is an added advantage.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in Systems Administration.
- Extensive knowledge of information security and technology trends.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Wide-ranging knowledge of systems administration and network/cloud/client system hardening techniques.
- Possession of CompTIA Security+/CISA/CISM/CEH or similar certification or willingness to achieve any of these in specified period.
- Knowledge of ITIL.
- Writing and communication ability.
- Strong ethical commitment to privacy and information protection and personal commitment to human rights standards for all.
- Knowledge of local languages spoken in East and Horn of Africa an asset.
The following criteria are desirable:
- Implementing an authentication & access system for users using Microsoft Intune.
- Research and test possible infrastructure improvements for DefendDefenders and its partners.
- Managing Windows Server 20222, Active Directory, Windows Group Policy objects.
- Familiarity with Linux, Apache, MySQL server stack and applications and webhosting using Yunohost.
- Manage Microsoft Admin Center, Microsoft Azure Portal, Microsoft Office 365, SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, and Microsoft Endpoint for Devices.
- Virtualisation with VirtualBox, VMware, Hyper-V, and Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM).
- Implementing a Security information and event management (SIEM) and logging through log management using existing infrastructure.
- Windows 10 and OS X Operating Systems.
- Virtual Private Servers.
- Must have excellent problem-solving aptitude for both software and hardware problems.
- Must have excellent writing and communication skills.
- Must be passionate about professional development and continuous learning.
- Experience administrating Linux.
- Experience with server security and management.
- Experience managing Microsoft Office 365 Environment.
- Computer programming ability.
- Technical documentation writing skills.
- Good troubleshooting skills – analyze the issue at hand, rapid diagnoses, problem-solving and feedback communication.
- Talent for documentation.
- Good writing and editing skills (English).
- Consistent communicator (English).
TERMS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Full- Time position based in Kampala, Uganda.
- Approximate starting date: March 2023.
- 12 months contract period, renewable based on performance and availability of funds.
- Health insurance (in Uganda) provided.
- The selected applicant must be based in Uganda or able to relocate to Kampala immediately, or within a short timeframe.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply with the following documents in a single submission:
- Letter of motivation.
- CV including two references;
E-mail your application to [email protected] no later than 27th January 2023.
Please do not attach copies of qualifications/diploma at this stage. Only complete applications will be reviewed. All materials should be submitted via email. We regret that owing to the volume in applications only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
EMPLOYMENT WITH DEFENDDEFENDERS
Equal employment opportunities and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at DefendDefenders where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established under international human rights principles.