Job Title: Human Resources Associate
Reports to: Director Programs and Administration
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Start date: June 2023
Application deadline: 12 April 2023
DefendDefenders was established in 2005 as the East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project and registered as a foreign Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) in Uganda. DefendDefenders exists to strengthen the work of Human Rights Defenders (HRDs) in the sub-region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. The core mandate of DefendDefenders is to promote the safety, security, and wellbeing of HRDs. DefendDefenders serves as the Secretariat of the East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Network (EHAHRD-Net) representing thousands of HRDs and their organisations. DefendDefenders draws its membership from Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia (together with Somaliland), South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. The Network also serves as the secretariat for AfricanDefenders (Pan-African Human Rights Defenders Network.) DefendDefenders is looking for a full-time human resource associate to maintain its infrastructure. The successful candidate must be able to work independently and effectively and be a team player that can provide guidance.
The Human Resource Associate provides key support in all human resources functions, including but not limited to talent acquisition and onboarding, cross-department coordination, personnel file management, training and development, staff benefits coordination, staff engagement, administration of the human resource information system, and assisting in the human resource admin activities on a day-to-day basis. The person in this role is an efficient and effective Human Resource professional with strong interpersonal skills, a keen eye for attention to detail, and the ability to create and maintain effective processes and systems to meet the departmental and organizational objectives.
The Human Resource Associate is responsible for amongst other things:
- Contribute to the overall talent development strategy of the organization and work collaboratively across functions to identify current and future staffing needs.
- Develop and implement effective recruitment strategies, screen resumes, conduct interviews, and evaluate candidates to ensure a high-quality recruitment process.
- Maintain a recruitment database and develop a strong talent pool to meet the organization’s needs.
- Prepare all relevant documents, forms, and contracts and ensure timely informationcollection and coordination with relevant departments through the recruitment andonboarding process.
- Provide orientation for new employees by providing information packets, reviewingcompany policies, explaining benefit programs, and obtaining document signatures.
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure a seamless and effective onboardingand off boarding process for employees.
- Prepare and present reports on recruitment and training activities to management asrequired.
- Support the development and implementation of human resource initiatives, policiesand systems.
- Ensure effective management of employee welfare programs which include leavemanagement, health insurance schemes, wellness programs and others for improvedemployee experience.
- Support the management of employee disciplinary and grievance issues in line withthe company human resource policy and employment laws.
- Support and coordinate the annual performance management review cycle to ensuretimely completion of the exercise.
- Participate in the development of a comprehensive learning and development manualand charter.
- Design, deliver and evaluate staff learning and development programs to meetorganizational needs and improve employee performance.
- Monitor progress made via professional development programs.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date personnel records of all employees, includingorderly archiving and staff database.
Applicants must be willing to relocate to Kampala, Uganda and must possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management or any related discipline.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resources Management.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in human resources.
- Writing and communication ability.
- Strong ethical commitment to privacy and information protection and personalcommitment to human rights standards for all.
- Knowledge of local languages spoken in East and Horn of Africa an asset.
The following criteria are desirable:
- Strong knowledge and experience in HR data management processes and systemswith the ability to analyze and interpret numerical data and processes.
- Experience with full-cycle recruiting, using various interview techniques andevaluation methods and knowledge of Applicant Tracking Systems.
- Proficiency in documenting processes and keeping up with trends and best practices.
- Demonstrable skills in digital media outreach and HR databases.
- Experience working with an NGO.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality of HR information.
- Well-organized, process-oriented and with strong attention to detail.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to perform with limited supervision.
- Excellent IT skills, including Human Resource Information System, MS Office andGoogle Suite.
- Strong training and facilitation skills.
TERMS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Full- Time position based in Kampala, Uganda.
- Approximate starting date: June 2023.
- 12 months contract period, renewable based on performance and availability of funds.
- Health insurance (in Uganda) provided.
- The selected applicant must be based in Uganda or able to relocate to Kampala immediately, or within a short timeframe.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply with the following documents in a single submission:
- Letter of motivation
- CV including two references
E-mail your application to [email protected] no later than 12 April 2023. Please do not attach copies of qualifications/diploma at this stage. Only complete applications will be reviewed. All materials should be submitted via email. We regret that owing to the volume in applications only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
EMPLOYMENT WITH DEFENDDEFENDERS
Equal employment opportunities and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at
DefendDefenders where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established under international human rights principles.