Deadline: Sunday 31 December 2017
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Duration of contract: 12 months
DefendDefenders (the East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project) is the secretariat to a network of more than 78 member organizations drawn from eleven countries in the sub-region (Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia (and Somaliland), South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda). The project was designed to strengthen the work of human rights defenders (HRDs) in the East and Horn of Africa sub-region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. The Project envisions a region in which the human rights of every citizen as stipulated in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) are respected and upheld. DefendDefenders implements activities in the areas of protection, advocacy and capacity building.
MONITORING AND EVALUATION EXPERT
DefendDefenders is seeking applications for the role of Monitoring and Evaluation Expert. Reporting directly to the Director of Programs and Administration, the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Expert will be responsible for the design, coordination and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation, and results framework of the organisation. He/she will develop a systematic monitoring framework to improve the qualitative and quantitative evidence gathered by DefendDefenders. He/she will also provide technical assistance to the implementing officers, particularly in relation to monitoring, reporting and governance issues. The position is a 12 month position, commencing in January 2018. The M&E Expert is expected to work a minimum of 20 hours per week. The successful candidate must be self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision. They should be willing to travel occasionally, as required.
Setting up the system
- Assist in the revision of the organisational results matrix, particularly in the areas of performance indicators and their measurement;
- Develop the overall framework, for organisational M&E, for example periodic reviews, impact assessment, and develop performance monitoring plan with relevant data collection systems;
- Review the quality of existing data in the program subject areas, the methods of collecting it, and the degree to which it will provide good baseline statistics for impact evaluation;
- Develop baseline data for each program components and for all program indicators; and
- Develop a plan for program-related capacity-building on M&E and undertake training for staff as required.
Implementation of M&E and coordination
- Compile data (collected by program officers) on a regular basis to measure achievement against the performance indicators;
- Maintain and administer the M&E database; analyse and aggregate findings;
- Assist the various program teams in data analysis;
- Document results of the M&E system and produce periodic reports required by DefendDefenders and donor agencies;
- Identify lessons learned and develop case studies to capture qualitative outputs of the programs. Provide advice to staff on improving program performance using M&E findings;
- Produce reports on M&E findings and prepare presentations to DefendDefenders management team based on M&E data as required; and
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor or Executive Director.
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum of five years professional experience in a senior M&E position responsible for implementing M&E activities of international development projects, preferably with a focus on human rights;
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in statistics, demographics, public policy, international development, social sciences, or related field. Master’s degree or Bachelor plus an advanced certificate in M&E, statistics, or social sciences preferred;
- Proven experience in designing, implementing, and operating project M&E systems from project/program initiation to closeout stages;
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and performance monitoring plans;
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies;
- Experience in planning and managing data collection tools; and
- Experience managing and providing ongoing training to M&E program staff;
Languages: Excellent written and spoken command of English. Knowledge of French preferred.
How to Apply
Please apply by emailing in a single submission the following documents: a letter of motivation and a C.V. with details of educational background, relevant experience, human rights activities and three references to [email protected] no later than Sunday 31 December 2017.
Please do not attach copies of qualifications at this stage. Only complete applications will be reviewed. It is preferred that all materials be submitted via email. We regret that owing to the volume in applications only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Equal employment opportunities and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at DefendDefenders where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established under international human rights principles.