Job Title: Program and Administration Manager
Reports to: Director Programs and Administration
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Start: 3 April 2023
Application deadline: 20 February 2023
DefendDefenders was established in 2005 as the East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project and registered as a foreign Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) in Uganda. DefendDefenders exists to strengthen the work of Human Rights Defenders in the sub-region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. The core mandate of DefendDefenders is to promote the safety, security, and wellbeing of HRDs. To achieve this, DefendDefenders’ work has to date focused on protection and security management, capacity building, technology development, as well as advocacy, research, and communications. DefendDefenders establishes and supports national coalitions of HRDs in various countries through which HRDs can come together and claim their rights at the national level.
DefendDefenders serves as the Secretariat of the East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Network (EHAHRD-Net) representing thousands of HRDs and their organisations. DefendDefenders draws its membership from Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia (together with Somaliland), South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. The Network also serves as the secretariat for AfricanDefenders (Pan-African Human Rights Defenders Network.) Further, DefendDefenders holds a consultative status with the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) as well as observer status with the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights.
PROGRAM AND ADMINISTRATION MANAGER shall be responsible, but not limited to, the following duties:
- Managing programs:
- Contributing to the overall formulation of projects and programs and to the development of program and fundraising strategies.
- Responsible for high quality narrative and financial reporting. o Ensures compliance with, and implementation of, all donor-related and project specific policies.
- Briefing and position papers for management, counterparts, partners, and donors.
- Developing program management schedules, activity plans, and monitoring and evaluation criteria against program goals, as well as recommending reviews and proposals to ensure that program activities address actual needs. o Have a strategic oversight on content and finances, to ensure that program goals are met.
- Support the proposal development process.
- Ensuring that all agreements with partners and service providers are prepared, negotiated, and agreed upon.
- Developing and maintaining productive working relationships with management, donors, partners, beneficiaries, and other stakeholders.
- Overseeing and managing the logistics team, including planning and organising events, trainings, and workshops
- Office administration, including procurement of equipment and supplies to the office
- Support the strategic development of the organisation through identification of opportunities and risks, and contribute to the refinement and reformulation of planned project outputs and activities, where necessary, as well as ensure proper implementation of the strategies and policies of the organisation.
- Support the organisational development through supervision of implementation of policies and improvement of internal management systems and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (spoken/written), including the ability to listen to and incorporate the views of stakeholders;
- Ability to engage with project partners, donors, and state authorities clearly and effectively, both verbally and written;
- Ability to communicate diplomatically, clearly and effectively, both verbally and written); and
- Ability to tailor language, tone, style and format to match the audience
- Proven ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries;
- Ability to establish and maintain productive and sustainable partnerships with project stakeholders; and
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Ensure that all personnel related issues for the staff are carried out in accordance with DefendDefenders guidelines;
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training, including commitment to team-building and ability to develop and support other team members;
- Hold regular team meetings through a consultative leadership style;
- Promote the security of the staff of the designated project by ensuring the application of security guidelines and safety in the workplace; and Strong time management and coordination skills.
Planning and Organising
- Ability to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Ability to foresee risks and allow for contingencies when planning;
- Ability to identify beneficiaries’ needs and suggest appropriate solutions; and Ability to identify priority activities and adjust them as required.
- Strong comfort with usage of information and internet technologies;
- Ability to learn new software and systems promoting efficiency and effectiveness; and
- Ability to follow digital security protocols.
Education and professional experience
- A master’s degree in human rights, law, social sciences, political science, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with a minimum of five years of relevant professional experience in program/project management;
- A solid understanding of human rights and protection mechanisms;
- Familiarity with the East and Horn of Africa sub-region and previous experience working in the sub-region;
- Good conceptual and analytical capacity;
- Very good budgeting, project management, and report writing skills; andAbility and willingness to travel.
Fluency in English is a must (spoken and written). Fluency in French or Arabic is a strong asset.
The position will be based in Kampala, Uganda with frequent travels within and out of the country. Applicants should be eligible to work in Uganda without restriction.
Applicants should send a letter of motivation, CV, and contacts of three references to: [email protected] by 20 February 2023. Do not send scanned copies of certificates. Interviews will be held in person (in Kampala, Uganda), or virtually during the first week of March 2023.
The subject line of the email should read “Application for Program & Admin Manager position.”
Questions about the position can be directed to [email protected]. No phone calls please.