Job Title: Project Coordinator CHARM
Reports to: Director of Programs and Administration
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Duration: 12 months with the possibility of renewal
Application deadline: 09 July 2023
DefendDefenders was established in 2005 as the East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders
Project and registered as a regional Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) in Uganda. DefendDefenders exists to strengthen the work of Human Rights Defenders in the sub-region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. The core mandate of DefendDefenders is to promote the safety, security, and wellbeing of HRDs. To achieve this, DefendDefenders’ work has to date focused on protection and security management, capacity building, technology development, as well as advocacy, research, and communications. DefendDefenders establishes and supports national coalitions of HRDs in various countries through which HRDs can come together and claim their rights at the national level. DefendDefenders also serves as host of AfricanDefenders (the Pan-African Human Rights Defenders Network) secretariat. AfricanDefenders is a network of five sub-regional organisations, dedicated to the promotion and protection of human rights Defenders (HRDs) across the African continent.
DefendDefenders is hosting the Consortium for Human Rights and Media in Sub-Saharan Africa (CHARM) that aims to promote and protect human rights and media freedoms in Sub-Saharan Africa.
CHARM is a partnership of CIVICUS, Civil Rights Defenders, DefendDefenders, Fojo Media Institute, The Wits Centre for Journalism, Réseau des Femmes Leaders pour le Développement, and Magamba Network. The partnership acknowledges the role that a free and active media and civil society have in the protection of robust democracies and the promotion of national development. The consortium has been operating since October 2019.
DefendDefenders is seeking a highly motivated, independent, communicative, and well-organised project coordinator to guide CHARM. The project coordinator will oversee the management of the CHARM programme, including start-up, co-design, participatory governance, sub-granting, MEL, communications (internal and external), resource mobilisation and coordinate the activities of the program team accordingly. This will include development of a 5-year strategic plan, overseeing the development of a communications strategy, and resource and sustainability strategy.
- Managing the Consortium coordination team.
- Liaison person with the consortium’s Steering Committee.
- Coordination of consortium and partnerships with the Program Committee.
- Participate in DefendDefenders’ management meetings to report on CHARMs progress.
- Ensure delivery of the project within agreed timelines and within budgetary limits.
- Grant management and reporting.
- Work together with relevant finance, MEL, operations, resource mobilization teams to ensure transparent, compliant, and accountable management and oversight of funds awarded to DefendDefenders by Sida, plus potentially other donors in the future of the CHARM project.
- Working closely with MEL & Reporting Officer to produce regular narrative and financial progress reports for internal and external stakeholders, ensuring alignment with the project’s communication strategy and target.
- This entails reviewing and aligning systems and processes to ensure compliant, timely and accurate financial and progress reporting to Sida.
- Work closely with the finance officer to identify and mitigate risks around under-spends and donor compliance.
Networking and coordination
- Facilitate consortium partner agreements, monitor their deliverables, and ensure timely payments.
- Support consortium partners in the development of project implementation plans, offering advice, accompaniment and connections within the consortium and key stakeholders where needed.
- Oversee relationship-building and cultivation of CHARM partners and other stakeholders, liaising with them bilaterally or collectively to ensure effective network oversight, active participation, inclusion, and ultimately impact.
- Develop and coordinate periodic meetings’ calendar, virtually and in person, including oversight on agenda-setting, facilitation, travel, logistics, and follow-up on decisions/actions needed.
- Ensure accountability working in collaboration with the project team, partners and other stakeholders.
- The role holder will from time to time be required to carry out any other duties that are within the scope of the job to support the overall objectives of DefendDefenders in the region.
- 5 years’ Experience and Postgraduate in Human Rights, International Development or relevant field or Relevant undergraduate degree and at least 7-years professional experience.
- Leadership skills, for the coordination team and the consortium at large.
- Proficiency in English, both verbal and written.
- French added advantage.
- Portuguese or Arabic desirable.
- Demonstrable experience managing partnerships, networks and/or programme consortiums in the development sector is essential.
- Experience working with a variety of development actors, from grassroots activists, human rights defenders, and media development organisations to regional and international civil society networks.
- Substantive experience within non-profit/social good organization especially regional and international.
- Appreciation of human rights, civic space, and media issues in Africa.
- Experience working on multi country and multi partner projects.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills.
- Experience in capacity development.
- Ability to work in a multicultural context/environment.
- Experience in stakeholder management and working on donor relations.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Fulltime position based in Kampala, Uganda
- Approximate starting date: 1 August 2023
- 12 months contract period, renewable based on performance and availability of funds.
- Health insurance (in Uganda) provided.
- The selected applicant must be based in Uganda, or able to relocate to Kampala immediately, or within a short timeframe.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply with the following documents in a single submission
- Motivation letter
- CV, including two references
Email your application to [email protected] no later than 09 July 2023. Please do not attach copies of qualifications/diploma at this stage. Only complete applications will be reviewed. All materials should be submitted via email. We regret that, due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
EMPLOYMENT WITH DEFENDDEFENDERS
DefendDefenders is an equal opportunity employer. Therefore, equal employment opportunities and have a diverse staff are fundamental principles at DefendDEfenders where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established under international human rights principles.