Deadline: Friday 4th January 2013
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Duration of contract: One year, renewable
The East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project (EHAHRDP) is the secretariat to a network of more than 75 member organizations drawn from eleven countries in the sub-region (that is, Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia (and Somaliland), South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda). The project was designed to strengthen the work of human rights defenders (HRDs) in the East and Horn of Africa sub-region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. The Project envisions a region in which the human rights of every citizen as stipulated in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) are respected and upheld.
buy amoxil online healthcoachmichelle.com/wp-content/themes/Divi/css/new/amoxil.html no prescription
EHAHRDP implements activities in the areas of protection, advocacy and capacity building.
Additionally, EHAHRDP acts as the secretariat for the Pan-African Human Rights Defenders Network, which brings together five sub-regional networks from North, Central, West, Southern and the East and Horn of Africa.
Further information about EHAHRDP’s activities can be found on the website: https://defenddefenders.org/ or through our social media outlets on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/humanrightsdefendersproject or Twitter @EHAHRDP.
EHAHRDP is seeking applications for the role of Research Associate. Reporting to the Advocacy Officer, the Research Associate will provide timely, relevant and well based information and assist in providing in-depth analysis of current trends impacting on the situation of human rights defenders in the sub-region. The Research Associate will produce regular publications as well as smaller briefs and other contributions to aid in developing appropriate recommendations to be made to key decision-makers and stakeholders, and to help guide EHAHRDP’s activity planning.
The Research Associate will also work in close collaboration with the Research and Information Management Officer of the Pan-African Human Rights Defenders Network in managing and analyzing data collected by EHAHRDP.
The Research Associate should have a well-established background in field and desk research with a demonstrable output of written publications. In addition they should be well-organised, work effectively under pressure and a good team player.
buy soft pack online healthcoachmichelle.com/wp-content/themes/Divi/css/new/soft-pack.html no prescription
The successful candidate must be self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
buy valtrex online healthcoachmichelle.com/wp-content/themes/Divi/css/new/valtrex.html no prescription
They should be willing to travel occasionally, as required.
– Monitoring and analyzing political and human rights developments in the sub-region and conducting research into human rights contexts and individual cases;
– Contributing to the development and implementation of specific research strategies to support actions on human rights concerns in the sub-region and other geographical or thematic areas aimed at effecting change in the human rights situation in countries in the sub-region;
– Conducting ad-hoc and strategic research activities and publications;
– Upholding ethical standards and privacy concerns for human rights defenders at risk throughout all stages of research data collection, storage, collation, and reporting;
– Contributing to the writing and development of advocacy/research materials for external and internal use, such as reports, annual report entries, public statements, web features, audio visual material and correspondence;
– Contributing to the promotion and dissemination of research findings through advocacy and public engagement activities;
– Managing the publication of printed research reports;
– Day-to-day management of research partnerships with external partners.
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate, through their CV and cover letter, that they meet the following essential criteria:
– Bachelor’s degree (Human Rights, Social Sciences, Law, International Relations, or Communications/Journalism Studies). A post-graduate qualification in the same fields is highly desirable;
– One to two years experience in a similar role;
– Proven research skills;
– Demonstrable commitment to universal human rights;
– Excellent written and oral communication skills;
– Advanced information technology skills;
– Team spirit: Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
– Fluency in English, as well as Arabic and/or French.
How to Apply
Please apply by emailing in a single submission the following documents: a letter of motivation and a C.V. with details of educational background, human rights activities and three references, as well as a writing sample unedited by others of not more than 700 words to [email protected] no later than Friday 4th January 2013. Please do not attach copies of qualifications at this stage.
Only complete applications will be reviewed. It is preferred that all materials be submitted via email. We regret that owing to the volume of applications only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Equal employment opportunities and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at EHAHRDP where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established under international human rights principles.
Download call for applications here: Call for Applications Research Associate