DefendDefenders calls for applications from Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya based human rights defenders to the Safe Sisters Fellowship Program Workshop 2022.
Safe Sisters is a fellowship program for women human rights defenders, journalists or media workers, and activists that trains them to be able to understand and respond to the digital security challenges they face in their work and daily life.
This unique opportunity brings together human rights defenders and civil society persons from East and Horn of Africa for intensive training and networking on how to strategically employ digital tools across the spectrum of data management, content development, digital security.
The safe sister fellowship is about empowering girls and women out there to take control of their space online and information and share with other women, Participants must be willing to learn in a fast-paced programme and should have the capacity and commitment to maximize their benefit from the programme.
Applicants ought to:
- Apply individually and must be based in Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda and should mainly be carry out human rights defenders’ work.
- Have an existing high impact digital project or idea they wish to bring into the workshop.
- Have an open mind to learn and experiment with new digital tools and concepts.
- Participants will be able to take part in the workshop over a period of five days, with DefendDefenders, to ensure that learning is tailored to the needs of the group.
- The participants will define and work on their own project throughout the course of participating in the workshop and receive support and mentorship in realizing their project vision.
- Participants will also become a member of our alumni network after they have gone through the whole cycle, including access to mentors, creatives, safe sister signal group, a mailing list, e-learning opportunities, and priority in subsequent events.
- All costs related to enabling participation in the online workshop will be covered by DefendDefenders.
Selection into the Workshops is highly competitive. We encourage you to apply early and put your best foot forward.
Phase 1: Fill out this application form by 8th April 2022.
Phase 2: Selection
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Phase 3: Self-study.
Phase 4: Preparation for the Workshop.
If you are selected to attend the workshops, you must complete several online assignments that will be assigned by Safe sister lead.
The workshop will take place from the 9th – 13th May 2022 unless otherwise communicated.
The Safe sister Digital Skills Workshop is generously supported by Bread for the world.