Reference Number; EHAHRDP/JOBS/2013/03 (English and Arabic)
The East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project (EHAHRDP) is the secretariat to a network of more than 75 member organizations drawn from eleven countries in the sub-region (that is, Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia (and Somaliland), South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda). The project was designed to strengthen the work of human rights defenders (HRDs) in the East and Horn of Africa sub-region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. The Project envisions a region in which the human rights of every citizen as stipulated in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) are respected and upheld. EHAHRDP implements activities in the areas of protection, advocacy and capacity building.
Additionally, EHAHRDP acts as the secretariat for the Pan-African Human Rights Defenders Network, which brings together five sub-regional networks from North, Central, West, Southern and the East and Horn of Africa.
Further information about EHAHRDP’s activities can be found on the website: https://defenddefenders.org/ or through our social media outlets on Face book http://www.facebook.com/humanrightsdefendersproject or Twitter @EHAHRDP.
EHAHRDP is in the process of recruiting a Security Management Officer for its work in supporting human rights defenders in the region.
To be able to successfully carry out assignments, candidates are required to fluently speak and write in English and Arabic. Knowledge of Portuguese is an added advantage.
- To work within the mandate of EHAHRDP and follow the principles of impartiality and non- partisanship;
- To contribute to the organisation’s security plan, update it and abide by it;
- To assess training capacity building needs among target groups;
- To develop and implement capacity building interventions on security management based on the needs of the target groups;
- Adapt relevant resource materials to the context in the sub region for the use of capacity building;
- To report on capacity building sessions (including on their evaluation and to propose any recommendation on possible adaptations of the capacity building approach);
- To analyse the situation of HRDs at risk in the region and contribute to the regular reporting to stakeholders as undertaken by EHAHRDP;
- Provide security advice to human rights defenders at risk;
- To collaborate and prepare reports for EHAHRDP on programmatic and thematic topics;
- To support EHAHRDP’s protection programme in assessing and assisting in cases of HRDs at risk;
- To keep abreast of the political situation in the region and contribute to the organizational political analysis;
- To liaise with NGOs, international organisations and bodies working in the region on the protection of human rights defenders.
The desired qualities are:
- Educational background: BA Degree (e.g. Law, Political Sciences, Education or Social Sciences)
- Experience in human rights work of at least 3 years;
- Experience of working in the region;
- Experience with local human rights organisations and human rights issues;
- Field mission experience in the region;
- Experience in the practical delivery of training preferably adult learning;
- Willingness and ability to travel for extended periods of time;
- Analytical skills as well as creative and interactive skills;
- Proven ability to write and speak concisely and clearly and communicate effectively in English and Arabic. Portuguese is desirable;
- Proven team work skills.
- Valid driving license.
Location: The position is based in Kampala, Uganda with frequent travels within and out of the country.
Languages: Fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic. Knowledge of Portuguese is an added advantage.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
buy Revatio generic infoblobuy.com over the counter
As part of the recruitment process, short-listed candidates will be required to attend a training session. Details will be availed to the respective applicants in due course.
buy norvasc generic infoblobuy.com/norvasc.html over the counter
Applications including a letter of motivation, CV and contact of three references should be sent to: [email protected] by 15th January 2013.
The subject line of the email should read “Application for the position of Security Management Officer (Reference number; EHAHRDP/JOBS/2013/03)”