DefendDefenders (the East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project) seeks to strengthen the work of human rights defenders (HRDs) in the East and Horn of Africa sub-region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. DefendDefenders focuses its work on Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia (and Somaliland), South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda.
DefendDefenders operates a project called Ttaala (formerly called “Doc-IT”) that aims to improve the digital skills of human rights organisations in the East Africa and Horn of Africa sub-region and to enable innovative human rights projects through the provision of technology support and advice. Ttaala is a part of the DefendersTech program at DefendDefenders.
DefendDefenders seeks a Technology Program Associate to support the Ttaala program. We are looking for an adaptable, inter-disciplinary, creative, and technically skilled person, with a passion for putting their knowledge and skills to use on projects with strong potentials for social impact.
Responsibilities includes, but are not limited to:
- Assessing organisations’ data and documentation processes and recommending tools and training
- Identifying campaign and messaging goals and connecting them to data collection and documentation projects
- Developing and delivering training and support to organisation’s data and documentation programs
- Design and deliver training on data collection, data analysis, visual communication, and online campaigning
- Project managing design and web development for online web campaigns and web platforms
- Developing campaign mini sites
- Online marketing, including Facebook ads and Google Ad Words including performance tracking and analysis such as in Google Analytics
- Data analysis and visualisation
- Communications and blog-writing
- Develop and maintain monthly newsletter and other information platforms. Maintain interaction with participants through phone calls, newsletter, and mass mailings.
- Prepare and track workplans and budgets
- Activity reporting and proposal writing
Qualification and Skills
- Education and minimum three years working experience in data management and analysis, web development, visual arts, marketing, communications, creative or software development project management, or related fields
- Strong proficiency in a range of computer technologies
- Ability to plan and work with different types of data sets and perform data cleaning, analysis, and manipulation
- Ability to teach technology skills and explain technical concepts for lay audiences
- Online communications and marketing experience
- Copywriting & blogging
- Experience coordinating creative and technical professionals and project managing design and development work
- Strong familiarity and ability to keep up to date with web technologies
- Web development, graphic design, and illustration skills an asset
- Team player with strong, professional work ethic and great collaboration skills
- Ability to lead a discussion.
- Able to explain moderately complex technical issues in clear, simple language.
- A passion for delivering exceptional service
- A talent for quickly learning new things and keeping projects on-track
- Excitement about becoming an integral part of a productive, client-focused technology team for the human rights defender community
- Interest in working to advance human rights
Oral and written fluency in English is a must. Fluency in Swahili or other languages spoken in the sub-region is an asset.
The position will be based in Kampala, Uganda with potential travels within and out of the country. Applicants should be eligible to work in Uganda without restriction.
Applicants should send a letter of motivation, CV, and contacts of three references to: [email protected] by 7 October 2019. Do not send scanned copies of certificates.
The subject line of the email should read “Application for Technology Program Associate position”