Ttaala Community Fellow
Ttaala is DefendDefenders’ comprehensive skills building project for human rights defenders illuminating the world of digital tools and strategies.
Organisations within Ttaala receive access to skills-building workshops, creative and technical consultancies to further campaign and project development, and process support from the Ttaala team at DefendDefenders. The objective of Ttaala is closing the technical and strategic skills gap for the effective defense of human rights in the digital age.
Ttaala is a small team and is mostly comprised of consultants that come in to serve the community of Human Rights Defenders as needs arise and over the last 5 years (originally as DOC-It), we garnered a sizable community of Human Rights Defenders across East Africa and the Horn of Africa. This community is quite near and dear to our hearts and seeing how the program is still growing, we’d love nothing more than to keep this community engaged and in the know of program activities, tools and opportunities.
We are looking for a Ttaala Community Fellow to join our team. They should be a tech-savvy professional, with experience in social media and be capable of working under minimum supervision with a high-paced team.
Our ideal candidate has exceptional oral and written communication skills and is able to develop engaging content. They should be a ‘people person’ with great relational skills and the ability to moderate online and offline conversations with our community.
Ultimately, they should be able to act as the face and voice of our brand and manage all communications to the Ttaala community.
If you are passionate about working with data, design, and technology to tell compelling stories, this job could be for you. A strong confidence with analysing data and visualisation technologies is ideal.
Candidates with strong partial qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- Set and implement social media and communication campaigns to align with our online engagement strategies.
- Provide engaging text, image, and video content for social media accounts especially our blog post on our website page.
- Respond and manage comments, requests, and community queries in a timely manner.
- Monitor and report on feedback and online reviews.
- Organize and participate in Ttaala program to better understand and build the community.
- Coordinate and work closely with the Communications teams to ensure organisational synergy.
- Liaise with Ttaala Program Lead to stay updated on events, community activities and possible engagements
- Build relationships with community members and developing possible linkages for collaborations where necessary.
- Stay up to date with digital technology trends
- The skills to clean, analyse and model data.
- The ability to visualise and tell data stories to non-specialists.
- Articulate the data analytics lifecycle and set out details, activities, and roles at each stage
Requirements and skills
- Experience launching community initiatives (e.g., building an online forum, launching an ambassador program, creating an event series and writing an email newsletter, writing a blog)
- Ability to identify and track relevant community metrics (e.g., repeat requests that can be harnessed to better serve the community)
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Hands on experience with social media management for brands
- Proven work experience as a community manager is an added bonus
- Ability to interpret website traffic and online customer engagement metrics is an added bonus.
- Knowledge of online marketing and marketing channels
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask.
Terms: Full Time
Location of work: Kampala, Uganda
Deadline: 19th October 2023
Women and other minority groups are highly encouraged to apply.
To apply to this vacancy, send a letter of interest and CV to [email protected] with “[Ttaala]” in the subject line by