CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: SECURITY MANAGEMENT ASSISTANT
The East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project (EHAHRDP) is the secretariat to a network of more than 75 member organizations drawn from eleven countries in the sub-region (that is, Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia (and Somaliland), South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda). The project was designed to strengthen the work of human rights defenders (HRDs) in the East and Horn of Africa sub-region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. The Project envisions a region in which the human rights of every citizen as stipulated in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) are respected and upheld. EHAHRDP implements activities in the areas of protection, advocacy and capacity building.
Additionally, EHAHRDP acts as the secretariat for the Pan-African Human Rights Defenders Network, which brings together five sub-regional networks from North, Central, West, Southern and the East and Horn of Africa. Further information about EHAHRDP’s activities can be found on the website: https://defenddefenders.org/ or through our social media outlets on Face book http://www.facebook.com/humanrightsdefendersproject or Twitter @EHAHRDP.
EHAHRDP is in the process of recruiting a Security Management Assistant for its work in supporting human rights defenders in the region. This is an entry level position ideal for recently qualified university graduates or young professionals.
- Assess capacity building needs among target groups;
- Develop and conduct capacity building interventions in security management based on the needs of the target groups;
- Adapt relevant resource materials to the context in the sub region for the use of capacity building;
- Report on capacity building sessions (including on their evaluation and propose recommendations on possible adaptations of the capacity building approach);
- Analyse the situation of HRDs at risk in the region and contribute to the regular reporting to stakeholders as undertaken by EHAHRDP;
- Provide advice to human rights defenders at risk;
- Collaborate and prepare reports for EHAHRDP on programmatic and thematic topics;
- Support EHAHRDP’s protection programme in assessing and assisting in cases of HRDs at risk;
- Keep abreast of the political situation in the region and contribute to the organizational political analysis.
- Work within the mandate of EHAHRDP and follow the principles of impartiality and non- partisanship;
- Implement organizational security protocol.
- Liaise with NGOs, international organisations and bodies working in the region on the protection of human rights defenders;
The desired qualities are:
- Educational background: at least a Bachelor’s Degree (e.g. Law, Political Sciences, Education or Social Sciences);
- Knowledge and passion for human rights;
- Knowledge of practical delivery of training preferably adult learning;
- Willingness and ability to travel for extended periods of time;
- Analytical skills as well as creative and interactive skills;
- Proven ability to write and speak concisely and clearly in both English and French;
- Proven team work skills.
Location: The position will be based in Kampala, Uganda with frequent travels within and out of the country. Applicants should be eligible to work in Uganda without restriction.
As part of the recruitment process, short-listed candidates will be required to attend a training session and interviews which will be conducted in French.
Applicants should send a letter of motivation, CV and contacts of three references to: [email protected] by 23 August 2014. Do not send scanned copies of certificates.
The subject line of the email shouldread “Application for the position of Security Management Assistant”