DefendDefenders (East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project) is a regional non-governmental organisation (NGO) based in Kampala, Uganda, that seeks to strengthen the work of human rights defenders throughout the sub-region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. DefendDefenders works in Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia/Somaliland, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. More information is available on our website, and social media outlets (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram).
DefendDefenders is implementing a 3-year project funded by the Protestant Agency for Diakonia and Development Bread for the World – Protestant Development Service and runs from January 2019 to December 2021. The project was developed to respond to the shrinking civic space for the safe operation of HRDs and other activists in East Africa arising from both state and non-state actors. This has been worsened by abusive arrest and detention, restricted freedom of assembly, association and expression, judicial harassment, and killings. Reprisals against HRDs are common across Africa.
- To assess the progress made in the attainment of project objectives and targets;
- To assess the relevance of our interventions to the HRDs, their needs and aspirations;
- To identify enabling factors and obstacles that may have accelerated/inhibited the progress towards attainment of the project objectives, and how these factors have influenced results either positively or negatively;
- To assess the effectiveness of our project implementation approaches;
- To document the potential impact/change accruing from the project interventions and their prospects of sustainability;
- To identify and document important lessons and good practices from the current progress and make recommendations for improvement of future programs and enhancement of organisational learning; and
- Examine emerging opportunities and risks to our programming and propose possible responses.
- Inception report detailing the Consultants’ understanding of the terms of reference, methodology of how the review will be conducted and the various tools to be used;
- Draft End of project evaluation report responding to all the objectives;
- Deliver a presentation on draft findings for validation of the preliminary findings; and
- Final end of project evaluation Report.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Diverse competencies in program development and management; M&E and Results Management and Human Rights programming;
- Minimum of a master’s degree in any or a combination of the above-mentioned areas;
- the team leader should have a minimum of 10 years in program development and evaluation; and
- Ability to synthesise documents with good writing skills.
For more details, please see our Terms of Reference. Proposals should be submitted in English in soft copy to [email protected] no later than 28 April 2021 with the subject “PROPOSAL FOR END OF PROJECT EVALUATION FOR BREAD FOR THE WORLD PROJECT”
EMPLOYMENT WITH DEFENDDEFENDERS
Equal employment opportunities and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at DefendDefenders where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established under international human rights principles.