DefendDefenders (East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project) is a regional non-governmental organisation (NGO) based in Kampala, Uganda, that seeks to strengthen the work of human rights defenders throughout the sub-region by reducing their vulnerability to the risk of persecution and by enhancing their capacity to effectively defend human rights. DefendDefenders works in Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia/Somaliland, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. More information is available on our website, and social media outlets (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram).
DefendDefenders wants to assess impact accruing from DefendDefenders Strategic plan implementation and lessons learnt along a 5-year course.
Specifically, the evaluation is interested in fulfilling the following objectives:
- To ascertain the extent of the progress made in the attainment of the strategic plan objectives and targets.
- To assess the relevance, effectiveness, and efficiency of DefendDefenders to HRDs HRD fora and the 5-year context.
- To examine the impact of our interventions and their sustainability prospects derived from the 5-year strategic plan implementation.
- To identify factors that enabled/limited the progress towards attainment of the strategic objectives and impact
- To document important lessons learnt from the process and recommendations that can be integrated in DefendDefenders Strategy 2021-2025 implementation.
- Examine emerging opportunities and risks to our existence and programming as well as possible responses
- An inception report detailing a comprehensive process of the evaluation, feasible time frames, and team.
- Progress reports
- Draft Evaluation report
- Representation of the findings
- Final Evaluation report
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Degree or Masters qualification or equivalent experience in a relevant subject
- Proven experience in conducting similar assignments, including in HR/HRD contexts.
- Expertise and affinity with gender-responsive evaluations.
- Proficiency in quantitative and qualitative methods of data collection, analysis and presentation
- Excellent report writing and analytical skills, including proven ability to form concise, actionable recommendations
- Cultural sensitivity and good communication skills
- Strong remote facilitation and coordination skills.
- Knowledge of and experience in human rights and human rights defender’s work
- Understanding of the sub-regional, regional and international HR/HRD mechanisms and systems.
- Multi-lingual team with capabilities in English and French. Kiswahili and Arabic will be a plus.
- A diverse team composition
For more details, please see our Terms of Reference. Proposals should be submitted in English in soft copy to [email protected] no later than 12:00am (Ugandan local time) on Friday, July 2, 2021 with the subject “Proposal for Conducting Terminal Evaluation of DefendDefenders Strategic Plan 2016-2020”
EMPLOYMENT WITH DEFENDDEFENDERS
Equal employment opportunities and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at DefendDefenders where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established under international human rights principles.