Call for applications for human rights defenders from Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Ethiopia, Eritrea, South Sudan, Sudan, Somalia and Djibouti to join the TOT program 2022.
This unique opportunity brings together human rights defenders and civil society persons from across the region for intensive training and networking while learning how to strategically employ digital tools across the spectrum of data management, content development, digital safety, and Physical security management. The TOT program is about empowering Human rights Defenders working on human rights issues to take control of their space online and offline while sharing information with other Human Rights defenders. Participants must be willing to learn in a fast-paced program and should have the capacity and commitment to maximize their benefit from the program.
Applicants ought to:
Apply individually and must be based in Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Ethiopia, Eritrea, South Sudan, Sudan, Somalia and Djibouti.
- Their work should mainly be focused on promotion and protection of human rights.
- Must have attend a digital safety and Physical security management training and can prove it.
- Have an existing high impact digital project or idea they wish to bring into the workshop
- Have an open mind to learn and experiment with new digital tools and concepts.
- Applicants should be proficient in English (written, spoken and comprehension).
- Participants will be able to take part in a workshop over a period of five days, with DefendDefenders, to ensure that learning is tailored to the needs of the group.
- The participants will define and work on their own project throughout the course of participating in the workshop and receive support and mentorship in realizing their project vision.
- Participants will be added to the pool of Trainers after they have gone through the whole cycle, including access to mentors, creatives.
- All costs related to enabling participation in the workshop will be covered by DefendDefenders.
Selection into the program is highly competitive. We encourage you to apply early and put your best foot forward.
Phase 2: Selection
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Phase 3: Preparation for the workshop.
If you are selected to attend the workshops, you will be contacted to share some details.
Phase 4: The workshop
The workshop will take place from the 4th – 8th July 2022 unless otherwise communicated.
The TOT program is made possible with the support of Bread for the world.